1. Lesson objectives
Teach students the meaning of the steps to install Windows 10 operating system on VMware.
Students have the ability to install OS on virtual and physical machines.
2. Introduction to operating system installation
Windows 10 operating system was released on July 29, 2015. The Windows 10 interface is a combination of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
This operating system is running on 400 million devices, accounting for 27.72% of computers. That shows that the actual use demand of this operating system is currently very large for the needs of the majority of users.
Practicing to install Windows 10 is essential for every Information Technology student.
3. Preparing for installation
– Download installed file Windows 10.
– Create a suitable installation DVD or USB.
– Configure boot device on BIOS from optical disc or USB.
– Requires minimum machine configuration: (for Windows 10 64bit Lite Edition 2019 v11)
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or higher.
- RAM: 1GB or more.
- Hard disk capacity: at least 16 GB of free space (60 GB).
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later.
4. Tutorials to install Windows 10
First of all, we must create a virtual machine that meets the requirements as above (refer to article Create virtual machines with VMware Workstation). Next, insert the Windows disc into the optical drive as shown below.
4.1. Setup Windows 10 installation from optical disc or USB
After creating a virtual machine successful, we must setup boot device on BIOS from optical disc. Right click to virtual machine (virtual machine must be off) -> select Power -> select Power On to Firmware to enter Boot configuration.
The interface below will appear to setup boot device on BIOS.
Using up and down arrow key (↑↓) to select boot device. If using DVD/CD, choose CD-ROM Drive. If using USB, choose Removable Devices. Then, we use + or – keys to change order of boot devices. Which boot device is at the top will have higher priority on boot. After configuration, select the F10 key to save the settings. Then, the computer will boot the Windows 10 installation disc.
4.2. Steps to install Windows 10 on VMware
Start computer, you will see a notice “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”. You can press “Enter” to start installation process.
- If you press the key too late, you will have to reset the device and press the key again.
- Once the key is pressed successfully, the installation process begins. If during the installation process is restarted to this step, do not press any key, because pressing the key will repeat the installation process and reinstall from the beginning.
After the screen with the Windows 10 logo appear, it will display the partition screen on the physical drive (if not partitioned first).
To create a new partition, click the New button, then enter the capacity 20480MB. When done, click the Apply button.
Then, it will display a list of created partitions, automatically created Recovery, System, MSR partitions used to store system configuration, not deleted.
Select the remaining 40GB partition, select New and enter the remaining amount to create another partition. Next, select the 20GB partition, then select Next to install Windows 10 into the 20GB partition.
Note: All partitions created are Primary Partition
Then, screen to enter the name appear, then select Next. Enter the password and select Next.
In the next screen, we can active Cortana virtual assistant.
Once completed, the interface of Windows 10 will display. And complete the installation.
Note: After completing the installation, you should connect your computer to a wifi network so that the operating system can download drivers, software, and security patches. This helps your device operate more smoothly, increasing performance.
5. Requirement of practice
Students create a virtual machine with the name formatted as Student ID with the following configuration parameters:
- Operating system: Windows 10
- RAM capacity: 2048 MB
- HDD capacity: 60 GB
- Processor: 1 CPU – 2 cores
- BIOS timeout: 10 seconds
- Choose boot device: CD-ROM
Using .iso file Windows 10 64bit Lite Edition 2019 v11 to partition and install OS:
- Partition 1: 20 GB (installation Windows 10)
- Partition 2: 15 GB
- Partition 3: 15 GB
Account settings are student ID, password: [email protected]
Active Cortana for voice communication